Monday 22 April 2024

Aruba - March 19 (Part 1)

 I was awake by 5:30, discovering we were about to dock in Oranjestad. Off to deck 16 for a few photos.


It was overcast and gloomy but the streams of sunlight assured me that it would be another pleasant day.


I always find the architecture of the ABC islands; Aruba, Bonaire, and Curacao so interesting. It's clear that the Dutch influence is strong here.

After breakfast on Deck 15, I had a bit of time before my excursion so relaxed and read by the pool until it got too hot for me. Down to deck 7 for more reading before I had a quick bite to eat at the International cafe. I was even able to catch a quick 30 minute nap in my stateroom before I packed up and went to meet my tour group at the terminal.

Today's tour was the sights, sounds, and scenes of Aruba. There were so many guests in attendance we needed to fill two buses. Our bus driver, Marvin, was also our guide and he did a wonderful job of telling us what we were seeing while on the bus , all while navigating the large bus. 

From this point, I'll let the photos tell much of the story.


This was one of the many beach scenes from the bus window. If memory serves, this is Eagle beach home to many resorts as well as a public beach. 


At a round-about on Eagle beach is this two-ton Leatherback sea turtle. The beach is a nesting ground for the turtle.


This was the largest resort we saw - a Palace by Riu. I'm not a fan of resorts at all and this one, frankly looked out of place among the others. In the islands there is often a height restriction and this definitely surpasses what I would expect to see.


Aruba is a dry, desert island with a number of varieties of cactus. I'm sure my readers who spend time in Arizona in the winter will recognize the type, far better than I.


Our first stop was the California lighthouse. The structure is the tallest, at 90 feet tall, on the island.

Built between 1914 and 1916 of stone, lime, and cement. The tower was built after the S.S. California crashed on the north-west shore of Aruba, hence the name. It took until 1919 for the light to be installed because of WWI.

The lighthouse was automated in 2007, and taken out of operation in 2015. Today it is open to public tours, and there is a restaurant across the parking lot. The day we were there, a food truck set up offering cold drinks and snacks. 

While my fellow passengers and other tourists were climbing the tower, or partaking in the beverages, I went for a bit of a wander.

Beyond the restaurant looking out to sea.



I believe we were given about 20 minutes at this stop before we headed off to our next stop, Chapel of Our Lady Alto Vista.


I could not get a decent photo of the chapel while everyone was wandering about, so this was taken from my bus window. The original chapel was built in 1750. This building was built in 1952, but not made any larger than the orginal. Those cement pews you see outside the church as used for the overflow. 

There was some vegetation outside of the chapel inlcuding these cactus. The other plants did not seem to be flourishing in the dry heat.


Our next stop on the tour was the Natural Bridge (baby bridge) in Arikok National Park. As this post is quite lengthy already, I'll do another post in the next few days. But, here's a hint of what is to come.




14 comments:

  1. I love all the scenery and beauty that you got to see. I wouldn't be a fan of 'city' with all the congested buildings - but the rest is just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aruba was incredible for its beauty. I didn't spend any time in the shopping area near the port. I had done that area on my first cruise back in 2011. Mostly overpriced jewelry for the tourists, though I'm sure there is more than that now.

      Delete
  2. I didn’t realize Aruba had so much cactus. So pretty though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither did I, Marie! On my first visit there we had stayed close to the port and didn't see any more of the island.

      Delete
  3. I love that turtle sculpture, it's wonderful. I wouldn't flourish in an arid environment, but I love seeing all your photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beyond the scenery, I was very impressed with the island's efforts to work within the confines of their climate. There was a huge de-salination plant for the water, and solar panels on many commercial and residential properties.

      Delete
  4. I have visited both Aruba and Curaçao, both very enjoyable, especially if you have several days to really get to know them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forward to visiting friends in Aruba in the next year or so. They have a timeshare at a resort (not my favorite), but love to explore the island too. I saw things they hadn't visited and of course, over their many visits they have seen areas I wasn't able to see on my short tour.

      Delete
  5. I love all the city and the nature and the beaches and the quiet spaces; it seems to offer whatever you want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bob! There is an area, close to the resorts that has many restaurants, bars, and clubs, a very busy downtown with shops, and beyond that all of the natural beauty of the island. Friends have been asking me to visit with them there for several years. This visit confirmed that I definitely must make time/save money to do so.

      Delete
  6. I think I have seen a picture of that chapel somewhere before. Lots of cacti growing.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting chapel. I have a photo of the interior but did not post it as the lighting wasn't great. I found it quite interesting that it wasn't enlarged when rebuilt. Those concrete pews in the courtyard look pretty uncomfortable, and I can imagine it is extremely hot in the summer season.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!