Saturday 6 April 2024

More packing, some shopping and a visit

Another busy week is very nearly in the rear view mirror. I had a relaxed weekend watching curling and baseball and between chores that trend has carried on through the week. 

On Monday, I ran a few errands picking up some needed groceries and a few more boxes for packing. I started pulling a few totes from the storage area that I plan to take with me. I still need to sort some of my yarn stash and projects to take with me, the rest can stay here, at least for now. The contents of the two pieces of furniture that will be going with me, the china cabinet and desk were packed - I expect I'll pack those in my car.

Tuesday, in between curling games, I headed downtown to meet with my lawyer to finalize the paperwork for the new house. This is the fifth transaction in 14 years that the firm has handled for me, and he was kind enough to give me a discount on his fees. I did have to return to the office as he needed two pieces of identification with photos. Funny thing, my Costco card wouldn't have been accepted. :p

I stopped in at Value Village on my way home and found some hand towels, a jigsaw puzzle, some yarn (are you surprised?) and a vase for $16. I really didn't need the vase, but it was a piece of pottery and I really liked the glaze. The yarn is Red Heart and perfect for mittens. 

That afternoon, I spent some time in the garage, organizing the boxes and totes that will be coming with me. The heavier items were placed in a pile for the movers. Some of the lighter items will come with me or stay behind for next time I'm back in the city. I expect I'll be with D and Eli for about a month, as we need to clean and have repairs done on her old house before it is listed. I will be back in the city to help my son with the yard work. I'll likely stay here for six weeks or so and then go back with D and Eli for the summer months. If the schedule works as I think it will, I'll spend a little over six months with them, a little less than four with C, and a couple of months travelling each year. 

The tree removal company dropped by that afternoon too, to give me a quote for removing four Lombardy poplars. When we moved in last fall, two of them looked to be dying and the other two need to go too. When I asked, the guy thought the trees are about 50 feet tall. The quote he gave me was very reasonable and the job has been scheduled for April 19. It will open up the back yard to more light and help to dry out, what was once, the garden area. Our neighbour poked his head over the fence while we were talking and asked if they'd check one of his trees (an elm, I believe) and by the time the guys had left, they had two jobs. 

Wednesday afternoon was incredibly lovely, the temperature reached a balmy 17C (63F). I continued the sorting in the garage, specially the gardening items. C has already informed me that he doesn't want things to water (besides the lawn), so I'm taking  containers with me for the new house. In addition, I'm taking the solar lights, ornaments, and the bird bath. D and I are both excited to see what the flower bed at the new place will have in store for us. I also took out the boxes from the basement to the garage. Everything has been taped closed now and will be ready for the movers next Thursday.

I drove out to the farm on Thursday for a quick visit with my brother, and to drop off the Christmas gifts my daughter had sent back with me in December. We talk or text one another almost every day, but it's been far too long since we've had a face-to-face visit. It wasn't a long visit, just time for a cup of tea sitting outside in the sun. R had discovered the pump that brings the water from the well to the horse trough had shorted out and he needed to get water to the horses. I heard from him later, that he'd managed to get his spare pump situated and the water was flowing. The horses did a great job of supervising his work. 

Friday marked the end of the round robin draw at the Men's World Curling. Our Canadian team (Brad Gushue - skip) ended in second place, just behind the Niklas Edin team of Sweden. The final six teams included Scotland, USA, Germany, and Italy. The lower rated teams played in the middle of the night for us; when I checked the scores this morning, I learned that Scotland and Italy won their qualifiers. Sweden will play Italy and Canada faces Scotland in the semis. The Bronze and Gold medal games will be aired on Sunday. With two Blue Jay games as well, it will be another sport heavy weekend.

Have a great week ahead everyone!

15 comments:

  1. You have a lot of stuff going on but your plans seem to be in order. Don't overdo the packing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should be good, as my packing was mostly taping up boxes that I'd opened since the move, and the china cabinet, desk, clothing and toiletries. The rest of my stuff stays here. I'll have to carry a suitcase back and forth but expect I'll have duplicates of some things.

      Delete
  2. Yea Team Gushue. I cannot bear to watch the games though. I can’t take the suspense!

    You are well organized already for this second move. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tied after the 9th end, but Sweden has the hammer. My anxiety has me reading and responding on blogs. :)
      Thanks Marie, I'm looking forward to the next few months as I settle into my new routine.

      Delete
  3. My goodness you've been busy! Lots more business to come too! It will be a relief when you are finally settled. We also watched a lot of curling. I felt kind of sorry for the New Zealand team, 0-12. It was probably a huge learning experience for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe New Zealand has been to the Worlds before, based on rankings in the Pan Pacific qualifiers. But they only have ten sheets of ice (I had to look it up) and a few hundred curlers, so it isn't entirely surprising that they didn't win a game. But, each appearance is definitely a learning opportunity. Often they become crowd favorites too...lots of people love an underdog.
      I am definitely looking forward to this move and the changes it will bring. It is something I've been dreaming of and planning for since my retirement in January 2019.

      Delete
  4. I am exhausted reading this! LOL
    You have become quite our little gypsy traveler - here and there and every where! I admire you for doing all of that. It sounds kind of exciting to me.
    Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm especially thrilled that I'll get to spend more time with my grandson. I'm not sure he is as excited, though. :)

      Delete
  5. Busy, busy as usual. Sounds as if you have everything under control for the upcoming move.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jackie. I'm a list maker and while the list is still quite long, things are getting checked off every day.

      Delete
  6. You are so busy! Hope the move goes smoothly! How far is it from your sons to your daughters new place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The town she lives in, is about a 90 minute drive from the city. The community is quite small, about 5000 people in the town proer. It is about the same size as the town I grew up in, and I'm looking forward to a quieter pace of life.

      Delete
  7. Looks like you are in charge and well organized for the move. Kudos to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks David. I must admit, I had forgotten a couple of important tasks. I was too excited about my cruise vacation, but those tasks quickly came to mind when I arrived home.

      Delete
  8. Sitting out in the sun, that definitely means spring has arrived!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!