Thursday 11 April 2024

Grenada - March 16

 

We docked in St. Georges in Grenada about 6:45 a.m. As you can see it was hazy, with the remnants of the clouds coming over the island. I was awake as we docked, and after showering and dressing I was heading to the buffet for breakfast. I realized I'd forgotten my phone in the stateroom so turned around to retrieve it. I also took the opportunity to add a pair of bicycle shorts as it was gusty on deck and I'd nearly had a couple of Marilyn Monroe moments during my walk across the ship. 

I made my way off the ship about 8:30 a.m., and with free WiFi was able to make a short call to D, check my Facebook and e-mail. Our driver, Clint, started to load his van of 12 passengers about 9:15 a.m. Clint drove us up, up and up circling around a deep valley. (Sorry, I was in the middle of the van and unable to capture a photo out the window.) Along the way, he pointed out places of interest, including the schools he had attended, and answered questions about the island. He was very entertaining and one heck of a driver!

About 20 minutes later, we arrived up a very steep driveway to the Great House, at Tower Estate. The house was a gift of C. F. Renwick to his English bride and built in 1913. Our guide informed us it was made in an effort to entice the woman to stay in Grenada. However, Renwick was both a womanizer and a gambler, and his wife eventually left him and returned to England. The house was later sold to the Slinger family in the mid 30's. The family still owns the property and live in the third story. The second story is open to the public, for tours and other events, while the first story is rented out. 


Our tour started with some information about the house and then moved into the gardens. These were a highlight of the tour, as our guide showed us the various plants, flowers, and trees. There were familiar to me as houseplants including wandering Jew, Boston and Asparagus ferns. The familiar Caribbean flowers including bougainvillea, frangipani, and ginger lilies. Others were new to me and so fun to see.

This plant, a crown of thorns, was aptly name. The flowers were pretty, the thorns not so much.

This was set in a container on the steps leading up to the side door of the house.

In front of the house, the flower bed included several bougainvillea, as well as this healthy croton variety. 

I'm sure I've seen this at garden centers for use as a houseplant in our climate. None nearly as tall as this particular specimen!

The photo I shared a couple of weeks ago of the pink bougainvillea was in this area too. Here's another photo of a more vibrantly colored flower.


Although it looks very much like a bird of paradise, this particular variety is known as a false bird of paradise. There was another similar flower called the lobster claw, and the actual bird of paradise.

These were ginger lillies in red, pink and this striking yellow.

Here is a flower that ought to be familiar to many, especially in the spring. It is a variety of iris. 

The most interesting plant, at least to me in the garden was the asparagus fern. Not because I haven't seen them in the past, but because of the berries. Those I've never seen before.


There were many trees as well, including Norwich pine, Mahogany trees, and Royal Palms.  The gardens are also home to various plants and herbs used to make the teas that are served at events held in the house. The blue tea, made from the butterfly pea flower is the most popular.

After our garden tour, we were invited into the house (second floor) for a cold juice (no tea) and the granddaughter of the original Slinger offered information on the house and it's former owners. 

I didn't stay long, but wandered off to see other parts of the house.

The dining room would hold a large group for a meal or afternoon tea.


My favorite room, though, was this office that contained a collection of trophies. Most were related to tennis, though there were a few for water sports. The windows looked out to the front of the house, and I could imagine sitting in the room reading.

From the Tower Estate, Clint drove us down, down, down, with a stop at a no longer working rum factory. It was an interesting place, but the interior had me on edge as the second story floor had a bounce to it. I was glad to get out of there. Those who chose to do so, could sample the wares at the store. 

Back at port, I stopped in the market and picked up a bottle of cinnamon for D. I probably paid too much (though I did get it for less than the first price offered), but by this point I was tired and reading to get back on board the ship. I did make one more stop to listen to the steel band. You can listen to the video here - there were several moments of videobombing.



I spent the afternoon by the Terrace pool, sometimes in the water, and mostly reading. The day in Grenada was wonderful and the gardens at Tower Estates were certainly a highlight of the entire cruise.

Next up - Trinidad

6 comments:

  1. Gorgeous house and gardens and with a great story, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely home. Looking at it from outside, it looks castle-like.
    What a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My, what a house! The flowers are just beautiful. I had an asparagus fern one year that berried - it was neat!
    Sounds like a fun day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blooms are lovely as is the steel band. A great day by the sound of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a huge home, and the gardens look wonderful. I have never seen berries on an asparagus fern before either, and I had one in the house for a number of years.

    Hope the move is going well.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All of life is not measured by the price you paid for something. Haggling is over-rated in my opinion. If the amount requested is reasonable for me, given my elevated income compared with the vendor, I pay it. Otherwise I move on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!