Thursday 4 April 2024

Guadeloupe - Mar 13

I missed the sunrise and our arrival in Guadeloupe. I'd set my alarm, just in case, and was awoken at the sound of it at 7:30 a.m. I headed up to Deck 16 forward to get a few photos.


I was quite surprised to see the tall buildings. They appear to be apartment blocks for locals rather than tourists as I never saw anyone on the balconies.

I'm not certain what this industrial site is used for, perhaps a desalination plant. What struck me was the use of the large solar panels. This was something I would see on both commercial and residential buildings throughout the islands we visited. 

I did not have an excursion booked in Guadeloupe as the Princess offered excursions didn't appeal to me. What I had intended to do was to find a bakery selling "le tourment d'amour" (loves torment). Imagine a pastry base spread with coconut jam and topped with a cinnamon flavored cake. Local lore suggests that a woman created the dessert because she missed her husband who was away at sea. My friends K and J had found these delicious pastries on a previous cruise. I did not have the same luck.

About 10 a.m. I ventured into Pointe-a-Pitre to start my search. There was an obligatory walk through the market by the pier, which was packed with tourists as the Aida Mar was also in port with us that day. I found an information desk, asking for a bakery/cafe where I could have a cold drink. I was directed to the spice market where I found a cafe with the banner "Free WiFi". I'm not certain if that was the name of the cafe or just an advertisement. 

The cafe did have a few pastries, but not the one I wanted, so I simply ordered a Coca-Cola. I spent an hour there at an outside table checking in with my daughter, catching up on FB and blog reading, and watching the activity of the spice market. Towards the end of my time, a fellow at the next table lit up a very stinky cigar so I decided it was time to move on. After a circle of the area I was in with no luck locating the pastry, I headed back to the ship.

The rest of the day was spent relaxing, reading on Deck 7, taking a short afternoon nap, and playing Trivia. Again, I learned how little I know. :) Just before sail-away, I stopped for a vanilla ice cream before heading over to the Terrace Bar.  There I sat and visited with a couple currently living in Ontario, but originally from Scotland. A very interesting couple - I never ran into them again but I quite enjoyed our chat.

That evening, we had a decent sunset. It was cloudy again, but the sky was pretty.



Next up - Martinque 


14 comments:

  1. I don't have much of a sweet tooth but that Love's Torment sounds pretty dee-lish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I thought too, just disappointed I didn't get a chance to sample one. When my friends were there, years ago, there were women selling them right by the port.

      Delete
  2. Looks neat. Sorry you did not find the sweet you were searching for. I just love how you describe such a leisurely day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness all those tall building must house lots of people. The sunset is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sunsets at sea. Here in the city, I don't get the full view but on the ocean it is wide open.

      Delete
  4. The forecast here called for serious snow, but we actually got nothing. I guess Guadaloupe would be a different world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guadeloupe was certainly hot - I was warm all the way through. :)

      Delete
  5. We are headed into snow and rain tonight and the next few days. Winter is not finished with us yet. This post makes a cruise so tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the weather reports and it doesn't look great for many parts of the country. However, we're expecting a high of 17C here today.

      Delete
  6. That pastry sounds awesome. I would have moved as well, the smell of a pipe I rather enjoy, but a cigar smell not so much.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so looking forward to tasting the pastry, but it will have to wait until another time. Cigars generally make me gag, but some pipe smoke is okay.

      Delete
  7. I'm enjoying all your photos (that sky!). I'm visiting Dad at the moment, so commenting will be sparse, but I'm reading via Feedly and looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!