Monday 1 April 2024

Sea Days Mar 10 & 11

 

The first two days of the cruise we were at sea, sailing towards St. Kitts. 

I was up relatively early on the first morning and captured a few photos of the sunrise. It was cloudy that morning, so definitely not anything spectacular and it was well above the horizon before much of the sun showed itself.


One of our fellow passengers had planned a meet-up for the solos at 10:30 but no one else showed. I did have the Cruise Critic meet-up and that was much better attended. I know 75 had signed up for it, but I don't think there were more than 40 in the room. 

The officers in attendance gave a short bio of themselves (the greet part) and opened the floor for questions. Mostly they are generic and simple questions, but the first one was asking about the shareholder dividends and when the company might start paying them again. I thought the officer did a good job of explaining dividends will be provided again when the cruise line is profitable without saying those words. The cruise industry was virtually shut down during the pandemic and it has been a slow build-up since. I should note, I don't earn shares in Princess so have no skin in the game - it just seems to be common sense to me.

After lunch, I took a walk on Deck 7 (Promenade) taking some wake photos including the one at the top. It was quite windy so I settled in to read but found myself nodding off so headed to my stateroom for a short nap. At 3 p.m. I attended the first (and my last) enrichment talk about the Bermuda Triangle. It wasn't the subject but the presenter that delivered the talk was worse than some of my university professors. Rambling off topic, skipping through slides, and not offering opportunities for questions were just a few of the annoyances. 

Later, I attended the solo's meet-up in the Adagio. We all went off in different directions for dinner, but I did run into the pub crawl group later in the evening. They were on their second stop and headed for the third. Linnae, one of the solos decided to leave the pub crawl and go with me to the comedian's show in Club Fusion. Robbie Printz was voted Princess Entertainer of the year this past year and did not disappoint. In fact, I went to the show again the next night too.

Our second sea day, I visited with the Knitter's and Knatters group, though I hadn't brought a project with me. It was the first time I had run into some one from a former cruise. Denise from Ontario had been on the Alaskan cruise in May 2022 as well. I also spent time at the Terrace pool and on the Promenade deck reading. Trivia was held at 4 p.m. in the Explorer's Lounge, and while I did not join a group, I tried answering the questions on my own. I stuck around for the Future Cruise director's discussion of tips to earn on-board credit. I quickly discovered it was mostly an up-sell event.

After the solo meet-up, another solo, Marilyn and I went to one of the main dining rooms for dinner. Other than one guest who never shut up, it was a wonderful meal. She even answered questions directed to her husband, though I did manage to ask one that he responded to so I know he was capable of speech.


I don't often take photos of my meals, but this Mahi-mahi was amazing.

Sunset that evening was spectacular!

I ended the night at the comedy show with a couple of Cruise Critic members I'd met earlier. Back at my stateroom I had an unfortunate discovery - I'd been charging my Kobo and somehow it had factory reset itself. Who am I kidding, I probably touched something I ought not to have but it was a bummer as I was in the middle of a good book.

This photo is of the job my steward did to cover up the motion light in the closet area. It kept it from turning on, most of the time, though at random times of the night it would still light up. 

I know there are people who dislike sea days, I'm not one of them. I do enjoy being able to relax and do as little or as much as I like to do. 


Next up - St. Kitts

12 comments:

  1. I loved this line:
    "I did manage to ask one that he responded to so I know he was capable of speech."
    Poor man probably never gets the chance to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds incredible. I don't think I would be one that enjoys the water at all. It is wonderful you get to have these adventures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fortunate - I've never experienced seasickness and I never take it for granted that I get to travel. The experiences are so worth it.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like the beginning of a fantastic trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the trip details. It sounds like a great time so far. Nice you can pick and choose the events you want to attend with no pressure and no cost.
    I know what it's like to have someone go on and on, and it is frustrating. I'm already in the quiet side in groups and that discouraged me even more from speaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Patsy. I'll admit while I like to share the trip with my readers, it's always a way for me to look back at my memories. Photos are great, but I don't always recall the what, when and where.
      I did a lot of interviewing of people in my work-life and I consider it a personal challenge to get someone talking. Especially when someone else is monopolizing the conversation. It wasn't easy but at least he did answer one question. :p

      Delete
  5. Gee, the poor husband (Reading the comments and replies.)

    I enjoyed your sea-day pics! There certainly was a lot to do and plenty of people to engage with. The sun views were incredible, even on your overcast morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! I always say if someone is bored on a cruise ship, they are trying to hard. The activities team provide so many opportunities and the passengers have their own events as well.
      We had incredible weather throughout the cruise - temps ranged from 24C/75F to 35C/95F as we travelled further south.

      Delete
  6. There is enough to keep you busy if you want to be on those sea days. I look forward to the next instalment.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!