Tuesday 9 April 2024

Barbados - March 15

 


No sunrise photos from Barbados as I woke just as the ship was docking. I had time for a quick shower and breakfast before heading off ship for my excursion. I've been to Barbados three times before, and usually stayed close to the port area in the town or beach area. This time, I went further afield to visit the Andromeda Botanical gardens. 

The drive out to the gardens was nearly an hour, with a stop at Bathsheba beach for a photo opportunity and use of the facilities. We were only allowed about 10 minutes there, and I wished it would have been longer.


This rock reminded me of the flower pot rocks at Hopewell Rocks in New Brunswick. It's amazing what the sea can do as it crashes against the rocks.


On the eastern shore of Barbados, Bathsheba Beach is considered a surfer's paradise. I was only able to watch this fellow make one run.

It was a beautiful spot, and though I likely wouldn't have gone in the water, more time there would have been great. 



It was a short drive from the beach to the gardens. Andromeda Botanic Gardens were created by Iris Bannochie, a horticulturalist in 1954. When she passed away, she bequeathed the property to the Barbados National Trust. According to the website, there are 600 plant species over 8 acres. Our guide advised to stay on the marked path as one could easily get lost among the lush plants. I wandered off on my own, and though I strayed a little bit, I did find my way back to the main building ahead of the rest of the tour group. 

Here are a few of the photos from my wander.

Ginger lily

Frangipani - the aroma of the flowers is incredible

Chenille plant

Peacock flower


I stopped for several minutes in this area. The palm trees were magnificent. I did wish there was a bench where one could sit and enjoy the sounds of the birds.








I wonder if the fish were hoping someone would toss them some food.

There was a bridge over the pond but it was closed for repairs.

Back at the main building, I waited on a bench with another couple I'd met previously. They were on the catamaran cruise in St. Kitt's. (That's our bus in the corner of the parking lot).

After the restroom and shopping was done, we boarded the bus for the hour drive back to the port. As we were pulling out a wedding party arrived for photos. The wee flower girl couldn't have been more than two years old.

At one point in the drive, a green monkey was standing on the road ahead of us. I wasn't able to capture a photo as it moved quickly into the thick brush and trees beside the road. 

While the gardens were lovely, and Bathsheba Beach had the wow factor, the excursion was somewhat disappointing. With ten minutes at the beach and only an hour at the gardens, most of our time was spent on the bus. Our guide was very good at pointing out places of interest, she wasn't able to answer many questions. 

Back in port, I did a bit of wandering through the shops picking up some hot sauce for my son, and stopped to enjoy some people watching and a small bowl of ice cream (strawberry shortcake). It was delicious!

My treat didn't spoil my appetite for an early dinner. It was Indian/British theme night in the buffet. One thing that Princess ships do well is Indian food and this evening was not a disappointment. 

I popped on Deck 15 aft for this photo as we sailed away from Barbados. 

Despite the time on the bus, I did enjoy our time in Barbados and at the gardens. If there is another next time on the island, I'll find an excursion closer to the port.

Next up - Grenada





7 comments:

  1. We visited Barbados years ago and loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So tranquil, the beaches and the jungle. I need a getaway!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, too bad you couldn't have spent more time in the gardens, but the photos are gorgeous.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a glorious day! I'd have wanted more time at both stops too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really enjoying "traveling" with your posts and photos . I know it is not the same as being there, but it is as good as I am going to have for a while.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!