Monday 8 April 2024

Martinique - March 14

Welcome to Martinique! This is one of my favorite islands to visit in the Caribbean, as there is so much to see and do, both in the port and around the island. 

We had a bit of rain, followed by a rainbow, prior to reaching our berth, but the day promised to be hot (95F/35C) and it did reach that temperature. 

Again, I had no excursion planned here, but planned to do a wander around the city and perhaps a little shopping. 





I believe this is the Royal Clipper ship docked next to us. (I neglected to get a photo of the ship's name). It carries 227 passengers and 106 crew. Compare that to the 3080 passengers and 1200 crew on the Ruby Princess.

I was off the ship by 8:30 a.m. My first destination was La Savane Park in Fort-de-France. I was looking for the headless statue of Josephine Bonaparte. I know, I know, I'm weird. The statue was installed in the park in 1859 and in 1991 the statue was "beheaded" and splattered with red paint. Martinique is part of the French Republic and the outermost region of the European Union. Thus, the primary language is French and the currency is euros. I came prepared with some of the euros, though not as prepared with the French language skills. Un petit peu, seulement. 

The park was oceanside and a short walk of ten minutes or so from the downtown. I wasn't successful in finding the statue though as I didn't veture to the far end of the park. 

On my way back to the city center, I decided to stop in at a store and purchase a baseball cap as the heat of the day was ramping up and the sun was hot on my head. In addition, the store offered free WiFi, so I took advantage of that too. D and Eli had an appointment in the city and I wanted to check in with her before she left home. Eli was having some issues with the medication he had been prescribed for the seizures, however the pediatric neurologist in Saskatoon wasn't able to see him yet, so the neuroligist in Regina agreed to see him. This doctor doesn't generally work with children but a med change was indicated. He's now on another prescription and I'm happy to say he's doing much better.

Back to Martinique; I wandered downtown looking for the bookstore where I had purchased a book for Eli on an earlier trip. Like the statue, I couldn't find what I was looking for but there was more to see and do regardless.

This is St. Louis Cathedral (it is featured in the first photo as well). The cathedral was completed in 1895 in the Romanesque Revival style. There was a service being held at this time, so I didn't enter the church.

Across from the cathedral is a small park. This allamanda cathartica or golden trumpet was blooming beautiful! I had to stop and enjoy the beauty. I've since learned that I can purchase this as an annual for my garden containers. I'm sure it won't grow nearly as big and bushy for me here. I'll be looking for it at the nursery later this spring.

Beyond the park is a building that captures the cathedral in its windows. 

I wandered through the market vendors and found a street vendor selling fresh squeezed juice. With a glass of grape, watermelon and mango juice, I settled in at a table and watched people go by. 

I did chuckle at the sight of the KFC store, it seems to be a staple in the islands.

Feeling refreshed and well hydrated, I headed off to walk about more. No luck still in finding the bookstore, but I did find a fabric store.

Oh, if only I were talented enough to sew well. The fabrics were gorgeous - and I ought to have taken a photo of the interior. I was looking for a crochet hook and decided a fabric store might very well carry them - and it did! I had thought, being as port heavy as this cruise was, that I wouldn't have time to work on a small project so hadn't brought yarn or a crochet hook with me. However, the sea days at the beginning of the cruise reminded me I like to have something in my hands to work on. I'd found some cotton yarn in the dollar store in Fort Lauderdale, but no crochet hook. It was in this store that my lack of French was obvious. However, the clerk and I managed through pantomine and a few words to find what I was looking for. 

I took a bit of time to wander through the open air market, but bought nothing there.

Look at the size of the melon slices!


There were tables of souveniers available too, and while I loved the colors, nothing said take me home.

You could not convince me to drive on these streets. They are incredibly narrow and with pedestrians walking about, it would be a nightmare (at least for me)
I much preferred those streets that appeared to limit vehicular traffic. After my walk-about, I decided it was time to head back to the ship for a late lunch, some reading in the shade and a short nap.


From this perspective it appears the clipper ship's masts are almost as tall as the Ruby. 


The clipper left port before we did, and very shortly had its sails up.


If I ever won a lottery, I think I'd really enjoy an opportunity to sail on one of these ships. On the other hand, I've never experienced seasickness on the large ships - I'm not so certain I'd be as lucky on such a small one. 

It was a wonderful day in Martinique. The weather was simply incredible (and hot!). I spent much of the day off ship just enjoying the atmosphere of Fort-de-France. Everyone I met and spoke with were friendly, even when there was some difficulty in understanding one another. 

Next up - Barbados


12 comments:

  1. What great photos, and a great walkabout. i love the church and then the reflection of the church!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bob, I quite enjoyed my day there.

      Delete
  2. Such a lovely day you had, with wonderful photos! The clipper ship is a beauty. I'm glad you were able to find alternative methods of communication and get the crochet hook! 🙃

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim. It's amazing what one can do with pantomime and a few common words.

      Delete
  3. It all looks so beautiful. What vibrant colors.
    I love the clipper ship - how cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's one of the things I love the most about the Caribbean are the colors, especially when we're in the midst of our gray/brown season.

      Delete
  4. I must say, I have taken but one cruise, and disliked it intensely. Obviously we would differ in our opinion of cruises but it would seem to me far more appealing to visit Martinique for a week and get to really know the island, its people, its wildlife, rather than just exploring the area accessible within a short distance of the ship, no doubt designed for tourists, and hardly reflecting the "real" Martinique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I enjoy most about cruising, is the fact that I unpack once and wake up somewhere new every morning. I recognize I don't necessarily see the reality of a place, but I doubt as a solo traveller I would manage to do so on a week long trip.
      Out of curiousity, I ran the numbers last night and a trip to Martinique for a week would have cost me as much as the entire cruise including airfare. While the accomodations would have been very reasonable, it was the airfare that put it over the top. I always say you can't get anywhere from here and that certainly holds true for Martinique.

      Delete
  5. Oh sailing on that clipper ship would be magical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be something, wouldn't it? Maybe some day I'll have an opportunity to sail on one, even if it's just a short few hour excursion.

      Delete
  6. Interesting to see the KFC sign though I can’t imagine eating there when visiting such a fascinating place. The clipper is a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nor would I, Marie, and I don't eat there at home either. But they do seem to be all over the various islands. One resident of St. Lucia told me that they call it, "Keep from cooking". :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!