Saturday 27 April 2024

Slowing down

Another busy week is nearly behind us, and I'm tired. We've been cleaning at the old house for a couple of hours every day and have the house emptied of everything but the appliances that are staying. The company who did the move also haul garbage. We had them in on Wednesday to take away some broken furniture and lots of garbage. There will be another haul away needed when we finish in the shed and garage, along with some yard waste.

We did make a run to the nearby town on Tuesday to look for a television stand for the living room. That task was not successful, but we did pick up a few groceries at Walmart and made a Value Village run. D walked out with a good number of brand name clothing pieces for Eli, some with original tags. I used my seniors discount of 30%, and she paid $60 for all of it. He's getting harder on his clothing now that he isn't growing quite as quickly. He continues to stretch up, but not out.

On Thursday, while my daughter finished the carpet cleaning on the second floor, I started filling holes and making some minor repairs to the walls. That work continued on Friday as well and I got the main floor spots sanded and wiped down. D stayed home as Eli was home from school with an ear ache. He's had a mild cough most of the week too. 

At the new house, we've continued to unpack in the office/craft room. There is enough of a dent made that there is open floor space. We still need to sort through everything and put duplicates together, rather than having them in separate containers. My under the bed space has been utilized too, for boxes of family mementos and photo albums. There are two boxes in the bedroom too, of photos and commercial artwork. I told D we'll go through that on a rainy day and I suspect a lot of it will end up being donated. Some pieces will stay but there is less wall space than in the old house in Regina. We have a lot more windows, which I appreciate fully....or at least until it is time to wash them this spring. :)

Today, I'm off to the old house for another hour or so to some sanding, and start laying cardboard on the large flower bed in the back yard. D has never been able to keep up with the weeds (even with her neighbour's help), and I'm hoping to take care of some of them early and without sprays. There is a large day lily that I'd like to split to bring a piece to the new house. 

The handyman, CT, will be in the house on Tuesday evening to start patching some cracks in the plaster that are beyond my abilities. There is more work to be done, but I need those taken care of before the painters arrive. They are booked the following week and expect to take two days to complete their work. After that, CT needs to return to do a few more minor repairs before the house can be listed. As I'm planning to head back to the city around the 15th of May, I'm hoping all will be done so we can list the house before I get away. To be honest, I doubt it will happen, but we'll try. However, not having any control over CT's schedule means we'll need to wait until he is available. Not only does he do good work, his pricing is also very reasonable.

Time for me to get moving! Have a great week ahead everyone. 

P.S. that's a photo of Stanley napping on my bed. Yes, there are still boxes in my room.

18 comments:

  1. I'd say things are coming along fairly well. What's the distance between the houses? Doing just a few hours at the empty house is the way to go, you don't need to wear yourself out! Good luck with everything moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy!
      We are literally a block away from the old house. It certainly makes going back and forth much easier than it would be if we were across town. We'll need to do another good cleaning once the painters and handyman have finished their work and I plan on doing a bit of painting of the stairway and some trim. But the end is definitely in sight for the inside. Now, I'm starting to turn my attention to the exterior.

      Delete
  2. Moving is such a chore; you always forget how much of a chore until you're doing it again.
    That said, Stanley looks a little peeved at his nap interrupted, but he's a gorgeous boy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stanley is definitely a handsome cat, and a real sweetheart. He spent much of his younger years outdoors but is now quite content to be indoors.

      Delete
  3. Oh wow, you both must be exhausted. It's exciting, though, and will be worth all your efforts in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think when we are completely finished and the house is sold, I will try to get away for a few days. Manitou Springs isn't far from here, and a couple of days in the mineral spa sounds good.

      Delete
  4. Gosh what a lot of work and you have done it a lot lately!!! Glad things will be slowing down - so you can all just live life. Stanley is a handsome boy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl, Stanley is a great cat - he especially loves his boy so I was surprised to find him on my bed. I guess he needed a rest too. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh my, you have been so busy. I think you need a rest for a couple of days.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So grateful our most recent move was age 30 (33y ago). Time and energy to do it all in a 24hour window while working full time AND school fulltime. Especially grateful it is a small single level for aging in place!

    Happy unpacking, sifting, cleaning and settling in!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elle. This will be my last move, until my kids move me to an assisted living place or my final resting place. I sure don't wnat to do it again. :)
      Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  7. There is an end in sight by the sound of it. I hope it is sooner than you expect, not later. You’ll be able to write a book about selling a house and moving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think once this is done, I never want to even think about moving again...so no book here. :p
      But yes, I can see an end in sight.

      Delete
  8. You'll have a great time watching for new and interesting plants at your new place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!